- Let go of your fears and simply write. Jack Kerouac wrote the initial scroll for On the Road without punctuation and it is a brilliant work; if he hadn't entered the process with a sense of free thought, there might not be a great novel.
- Look at pictures of people or characters that you like - what do they look like? The first thing we notice about people is their appearance so as you create remember that.
- Identify the character's goals or objectives, their prominent beliefs, and their strengths and weaknesses.
- Although it may not appear in your final work, create a back story for your character. What got them to the first line of the book? What helped to make them who they are in this moment?
- Think about those minor, random moments that define our lives - these are the moments you want to consider while creating the character.
- Use a character creator or avatar creator so you can visualize the character.
To really write a great character, you need to close your eyes and imagine yourself as that character. Don't self-sabotage by putting boundaries on your creativity!!