This has led to some serious contemplation on my part - am I clear when I deliver messages to my students or am I simply assuming that they understand? Could it be that since I understand what I am doing, I believe they do? Is this a case of the teacher not taking time out to recognize the needs of the student? There really is no clear answer but I think I can attest to the following:
- Never assume your students understand what you are saying or writing
- Always review in class the assignment or course work that is on the CMS
- Before you leave a module or week make sure that each student has asked, and you have answered, any questions they may have
- If students are still not understanding, be fluid and revise - just because we have more education doesn't make us smarter than our students; in fact, it may make us a bit blind
- Tell your students that no question is "dumb" or "silly" - they should always feel free to ask for what they need
Even with 11 years teaching under my belt I still learn something every day...from my students.